Date online safely
Meeting someone for the first time is bound to make you nervous. The hope is to meet someone who you’ll click with on our dating site. There’s a lot to think about – how you ought to act online as well as when you meet in person for the first time. You can assume that most people on Firstdate are in the same boat. They’re genuine, and they want to meet someone just like you.
Some tips for safe dating
- Be sensible and cautious when dating online. The person you’re chatting to might not be who they say they are.
- Take extra care if the person doesn’t have a picture or if it looks too professional. If the person has professional pictures, ask for a photo taken in different surroundings to be on the safe side.
- Get to know the person well before you decide to continue your conversation outside Firstdate.
- Sometimes things are too good to be true… Make sure that the person you meet is who they claim to be.
- Don’t reveal any personal information until you feel sure. Be extra careful if a person wants you to communicate using a different forum. Wait to give your name, telephone number, and address until you’re certain that the person is who they claim to be.
- Act rationally. Even if you’re longing for love, it’s wise to hold back on revealing your real name.
- Decide on a date in a public place. It doesn’t matter if it’s a restaurant, library, or local coffee shop – the most important thing is being around other people.
- Tell someone that you’re going on an internet date. Tell them who you’re meeting, where you’re meeting, and when you expect to come home.
- Go by your gut feeling! If something feels too good to be true, it probably is.
- Avoid meeting someone at their home on a first date. Neutral ground is best.
- Don’t go home with your date on your first meeting. Get to know one another first.
- Be careful about lending someone money. There are scammers who will spend a lot of time writing to you before suddenly asking to borrow money, because their relative is sick, or another similar story.
- Don’t drink too much when meeting someone for the first time. It’s easy to have one glass too many.
- Get to know the person, and don’t do everything the first time you meet. Even if you feel you’re in love, it’s best to save things until the next time you meet.
- Use your common sense. Don’t go on a date if you’re uncertain.
- Take care of yourself, and leave the date if you feel uncomfortable with or unsure about the person.
You will always feel safe at Firstdate
Don’t hesitate to get in touch with us at Firstdate if you have any suspicions or questions. Firstdate wants you to feel safe and secure when you use our online dating service. We’re here to make the site safe for you. You’re protected and anonymous at Firstdate, and can decide how much of your personal information you give to other members.
Please get in touch with us if you feel that someone is behaving unacceptably or is offensive, or if they’re not the person they claim to be. We’re constantly updating our systems and features to keep you safe. Nevertheless most people are here for the same reason as you – to find the love of their lives!
We’re careful to make sure all our members treat one another in an appropriate and friendly manner. We want you to let us know if you think someone is behaving inappropriately or has pornographic or offensive pictures or content. We’re not responsible for members’ content, and it’s down to the user to read the terms and conditions.